France reveals 10 new suspected Epstein victims have come forward in the country's ongoing probe
Investigators have retrieved Epstein's computers, telephone records and address books
French magistrates are investigating possible offences involving French perpetrators who facilitated the crimes of late American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, as the country's probe into his network continues to expand.
New victims come forward
Paris Public Prosecutor Laure Beccuau confirmed on Sunday, speaking to broadcaster RTL, that approximately 20 suspected victims had made themselves known to investigators following her public appeal in February, in which she urged potential victims to come forward. Whilst some were already known to authorities, she noted that others had not previously been on investigators' radar.
"New victims come forward, ones we didn't know at all," she said. "There are around 10 of them," she added, noting: "The choice we've made for the time being is to listen to these victims."
She also explained that logistical arrangements were being made to accommodate those based outside France. "A certain number of them are abroad, so the investigators have tried to set up meetings to suit when they are able to come to Paris," the prosecutor said.
Investigation reopened following US file release
France launched a human-trafficking investigation following the publication of files from the United States Justice Department's probe into Epstein. French magistrates are seeking to examine possible offences committed on French soil or involving French nationals who may have facilitated Epstein's crimes.
As part of the renewed investigative effort, authorities have revisited key pieces of evidence. "We have also once again pulled out Epstein's computers, his telephone records, and his address books," Beccuau said, adding that her team would be "making requests for international assistance."
Background and earlier searches
Epstein died in a US prison in August 2019 whilst facing charges of trafficking underage girls for sex. The following month, French investigators conducted a search of his luxury apartment in Paris.
Links to earlier European probes
Some of the suspected victims already known to French investigators had previously come to light during separate inquiries into former European model agency boss Gerald Marie and the late model agent Jean-Luc Brunel, according to the AFP news agency.