Former McDonald manager charged after allegedly spitting in fries served to ex
The victim reportedly consumed the food before realizing what had allegedly happened
McDonald's has come under scrutiny after a former manager was charged in Massachusetts for allegedly contaminating a drive-thru food order intended for her ex-girlfriend, according to police and court records.
The accused, 22-year-old Kaylie M. Santos of Southbridge, is charged with distributing food containing a harmful substance following an alleged incident at a Southbridge McDonald’s location. She is scheduled to be arraigned on June 5 in Dudley District Court.
Authorities said the investigation began on May 7 after a video surfaced on social media allegedly showing a McDonald’s employee tampering with food inside the restaurant kitchen.
The footage reportedly originated from Snapchat and was later shared on Facebook, prompting police involvement.
According to investigators, the video allegedly shows Santos speaking about preparing fries for her girlfriend before placing food in her mouth and then into a fry carton.
Additional surveillance footage reviewed by police reportedly captured Santos spitting into an empty container and later placing fries into it before serving the order at a drive-thru window.
Police said the incident occurred on April 9, 2026, around 10:21 p.m., when a customer in a gray Ford Fusion received the contaminated order.
The vehicle was later traced to a woman identified as Santos’ ex-girlfriend, who confirmed she had placed a simple order of two soft drinks but was also given fries.
The woman told investigators she unknowingly ate the fries and only later realized what had allegedly occurred after seeing the circulating Snapchat video.
She also alleged she had been experiencing ongoing harassment from Santos following their breakup in 2024.
Authorities said the investigation determined the alleged act appeared to specifically target the victim, and no other customers were believed to have been affected.
A no-trespass order was issued against Santos on May 12, and McDonald’s management later cooperated with investigators, reportedly spending more than 220 hours reviewing surveillance footage.
In a statement, the restaurant’s ownership said employees involved were immediately suspended and later terminated following an internal investigation.
They emphasized that the actions did not reflect company food safety standards and confirmed they are cooperating with authorities and health officials.