Home / Crime
Authorities rule out family in Nancy Guthrie kidnapping investigation
Savannah Guthrie continues to plead for her mother’s safe return as FBI offers $100,000 reward
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos has explained how investigators have ruled out Savannah Guthrie’s family as suspects in the ongoing search for her mother, Nancy Guthrie.
The 84-year-old mother of the Today anchor has been missing since Feb. 1, and authorities have not identified any suspects or persons of interest as the case enters its third week.
“We talked to them, we took their phones, we took their computers. I mean, we did everything. We processed their vehicles, we processed their homes. They have been really... They’re victims,” Nanos told People on Tuesday.
The sheriff said the Guthrie family, including all siblings and spouses, had been fully cleared. “The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case.
To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel,” he added. Nanos explained to NBC News that he felt compelled to speak out: “It is every cop's duty to stand up and be that voice for our victims. I’m not going to sit in silence when others are attacking the innocent. Isn’t that what the badge represents?”
Authorities believe Nancy was kidnapped from her Tucson, Arizona, home in the early hours of Feb. 1.
Surveillance footage released by the FBI shows a masked, armed individual tampering with a Nest camera at her front door. The suspect, described as a man approximately 5’9”–5’10” tall with an average build, carried a black 25-liter ‘Ozark Trail Hiker Pack.’
Investigators have recovered DNA at the property that does not belong to Nancy or her family, along with several gloves found as far as two miles from the home.
Blood matching Nancy’s DNA was also discovered on the exterior porch. Authorities have submitted all evidence for laboratory analysis and are continuing to explore all possibilities.
A “signal sniffer” is being used to detect signals from Nancy’s pacemaker, law enforcement sources told CBS News.
Alleged ransom notes tied to the disappearance have been sent to media outlets, though the FBI says there has been no communication between the kidnappers and the Guthrie family.
Since her mother’s disappearance, Savannah Guthrie has posted multiple videos on Instagram pleading for Nancy’s safe return.
On Feb. 15, she said, “It’s been two weeks since our mom was taken. And I just wanted to come on and say that we still have hope. And we still believe.”
The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to Nancy’s recovery or an arrest in the case.