Three killed in hate crime attack at Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday
Two suspected teenage shooters, aged 17 and 18, were found dead inside a vehicle near the scene
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, with two teenage suspects found dead inside a nearby vehicle shortly afterwards.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed the attack is being investigated as a hate crime, with "hate rhetoric" confirmed to have been involved.
How the attack unfolded
Officers responded to reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Centre at approximately 11:43 a.m. local time on Monday. The three victims were found outside the mosque when police arrived.
Shortly after, officers were called to a nearby location where they discovered a vehicle in the middle of the street containing two deceased suspects, aged 17 and 18. One of the teenagers was associated with nearby Madison High School.
A mother's warning came too late
Two hours before the shooting was reported, a mother had called police to report that her son was missing, along with multiple weapons and her vehicle.
The call was initially logged as a runaway report before being escalated as the mother shared further details — including her belief that her son was suicidal and that another person accompanied him.
Both were reportedly dressed in camouflage. Police said a note had been left behind but declined to disclose its contents during the ongoing investigation.
Security guard hailed a hero
Among the three people killed was a security guard described by those who knew him as a kind and welcoming presence at the mosque.
A father of eight, he was credited by Chief Wahl with helping contain the situation before police were called. "I think it's fair to say his actions were heroic, and undoubtedly he saved lives today," Wahl said.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria echoed the tribute, expressing deep gratitude for the guard's courage.
Community mourning and calls for unity
Imam Taha Hassane of the Islamic Center confirmed that all children, teachers, and staff at the mosque were safe. Speaking at a press conference, he described the attack as something his community had never anticipated.
"What I can say at this moment is that my community is mourning. This is something that we have never expected to take place, but at the same time, the religious intolerance and the hate unfortunately, that exist in our nation is unprecedented," he said, calling on parents, media, elected officials, and religious leaders alike to help foster "a culture of love."
Political response
President Trump described the attack as a "terrible situation" and confirmed he had been briefed. California Governor Gavin Newsom condemned the violence in strong terms. "Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives.
Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith," he said, adding: "To the San Diego Muslim community: California stands with you."
The FBI said it had not yet determined a motive, with the investigation ongoing.
