Idris Elba shuts down years of James Bond casting speculation
The actor says he was never seriously considered as a replacement for James Bond star Daniel Craig
Idris Elba has shut down years of speculation linking him to the iconic role of James Bond, insisting he was never seriously in contention to become the next 007 despite persistent fan campaigns and Hollywood rumors.
Speaking exclusively to People at the Los Angeles premiere of Masters of the Universe on May 18, the 53-year-old actor said reports about him being considered for the role were overstated from the beginning.
“My name's not getting thrown out, no way,” Elba said while addressing ongoing rumors surrounding the future of the Bond franchise.
“They're going younger. And I wish them all the luck of the world. I can't wait — it's going to be amazing.”
The actor further clarified that he never viewed himself as part of the casting conversation.
“I'm honestly not in the race ever. I wasn't in the race in the first place,” he added.
Speculation surrounding Elba potentially becoming the first Black James Bond circulated for years, particularly during the final era of Daniel Craig’s tenure as the British spy. Craig last portrayed the character in the 2021 film No Time to Die.
During a 2023 appearance on the Smartless podcast, Elba admitted he initially felt honored by the idea of playing Bond, describing it as one of the industry’s most coveted roles.
“We’re all actors and we understand that that role is one of those sort of coveted types,” Elba previously said.
“But being asked to be James Bond was like, ‘Okay, you've sort of reached the pinnacle.’”
However, the actor also acknowledged that the conversation eventually became uncomfortable as debates surrounding his casting shifted toward race.
“Those that weren't happy about the idea made the whole thing disgusting and off-putting, because it became about race,” Elba explained at the time. “It became about nonsense, and I got the brunt of it.”
Elba’s name first gained traction in Bond discussions after leaked emails from 2014 reportedly revealed former Sony executive Amy Pascal believed “Idris should be the next Bond.”
The Bond legacy has previously included actors such as Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, and Timothy Dalton.
Away from the Bond speculation, Elba is currently focused on promoting Masters of the Universe, in which he stars as Duncan, one of He-Man’s closest allies.
The actor revealed the franchise held special significance during his childhood.
“Masters of the Universe was my thing,” Elba shared. “It was something that I watched a lot as a kid.”
He also expressed excitement about reinventing the character for the big screen.
“To get to play Duncan and change him — make him look like me — was a real treat,” he said. “I got to be a bit comedic and big, so I went for it.”
Elba added that the physically demanding role required him to remain in fighting shape after several action-heavy projects in recent years.
“I have to stay in shape so I can run and punch,” he joked.
