Ingredients for hummus grilled cheese sandwich:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 4 slices bread
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- ½ cup shredded cheese
Hummus grilled cheese sandwich preparation:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions until tender, about five minutes; remove from skillet and set aside. Spread mayonnaise on the bread slices.
- Turn the slices mayo-side-down and evenly spread hummus on all four slices.
- On only two of those slices, evenly layer mushroom-onion mixture followed by cheese.
- Top with remaining two bread slices with mayonnaise-side-up. Each of the two sandwiches will have hummus on the top and bottom, with cheese and mushroom mixture in the centre.
- Reheat the skillet over medium heat; place sandwiches mayonnaise-side-down in the skillet, and cook until golden brown on both sides and cheese is melted, five to six minutes, flipping half-way through.
Video: Anne Hathaway shares behind-the-scenes of Spirit Awards prep
Watch: Jennifer Aniston gets real about Monday struggles in workout video
'Dune: Part Two' director Denis Villeneuve reacts to Christopher Nolan comparing his film
Watch: Chrissy Teigen shares adorable moment of baby Wren's sink playtime