California man accused of partner's murder apprehended in Mexico as two young children are safely recovered
Camron Lee, 40, was arrested in Primo Tapia, Mexico, on 17 May after a nearly six-month FBI manhunt
A California man accused of murdering his partner has been apprehended in Mexico after a nearly six-month manhunt, and the couple's two young children have been safely recovered and reunited with family, the FBI announced on Tuesday.
The arrest
Camron Lee, 40, was taken into custody on 17 May in Primo Tapia, Baja California, Mexico, alongside his children Athena Lee, five, and Mateo Lee, four, according to the FBI Sacramento Field Office.
The children have since been reunited with their maternal grandmother in California. Multiple agencies in both countries assisted in the operation, including the Sacramento Police Department, the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office, Mexico's Office of the Attorney General, and elements of the Mexican military.
"Today's announcement highlights the impact of the FBI's reward program. A single tip brought a fugitive to justice for his alleged crime and reunited a family," said FBI Sacramento Special Agent in Charge Sid Patel. "We are grateful for the trust Angelica Bravo's family placed in law enforcement and the confidence the tipster placed in the FBI."
The original incident
The case began on 8 July 2024, when Sacramento police officers responding to a medical aid call at a home on Didcot Circle discovered Angelica Bravo, Lee's partner, dead inside the residence.
Athena and Mateo were missing from the home, as was Lee. Authorities believed Lee's vehicle had crossed into Mexico with the children, and because the children were believed to be outside the United States, the criteria for issuing an Amber Alert were not met.
The charges
Lee was initially charged with four counts of possession of an assault weapon on 26 July 2024. On 5 March 2025, he was additionally charged with murder in Sacramento County Superior Court after the Sacramento County Coroner determined that "homicidal violence could not be ruled out as a potential cause of death."
A federal arrest warrant for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution had been issued on 20 August 2024 to assist in locating him and recovering the children.
Statements from officials
Sacramento Police Department Chief Zachary Bales said the arrest marked "another step forward in the pursuit of justice for Angelica Bravo, her family, and all those impacted by her murder in July 2024," adding that "those who harm others will be pursued with determination and resolve."
Sacramento County District Attorney Thien Ho praised the inter-agency collaboration, saying Bravo's family had been "waiting for justice" since her death.
"With the dedicated partnership of the Sacramento Police Department and the FBI, we can announce that Camron Lee is in custody and will face charges for her murder.
"I'm further glad to announce that the children have now been reunified with Ms. Bravo's family, bringing them profound relief."
Lee's return to the United States is being funded through Project Welcome Home, a federal programme that assists with transporting fugitives back to the country.