Gossip Herald
Home / Crime

San Diego mosque shooting suspect’s mother reported him missing hours before attack

Three adults were killed in the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego

By GH Web Desk |
San Diego mosque shooting suspect’s mother reported him missing hours before attack
San Diego mosque shooting suspect’s mother reported him missing hours before attack

A deadly attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego unfolded just hours after police say one of the suspects was reported missing by his mother, who also warned authorities that he was suicidal and that firearms were unaccounted for.

The shooting, which took place on Monday, May 18, left three adults dead at the mosque, one of them a security guard, before the two suspected shooters, aged 17 and 18, were later found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to the San Diego Police Department.

Police said the situation began earlier that morning when the mother of the juvenile suspect contacted authorities to report him missing. 

In that call, she expressed concern that her son was suicidal and told officers that several firearms belonging to her were missing, along with her vehicle.

“She also stated that he was with a companion, who was dressed in camouflage,” the San Diego Police Department said in a statement, adding that officers immediately began searching for the pair after the report was filed.

Authorities said the vehicle linked to the suspect was later located near a shopping mall, prompting additional police response to multiple locations, including a nearby high school. Despite the search effort, gunfire was later reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego.

The Islamic Center—the largest mosque in the city and home to a school—became the scene of what officials are investigating as a hate-motivated attack.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria condemned the violence, calling it a devastating moment for the city.

“Today, our city was shaken by a violent act of hate at the Islamic Center of San Diego and my heart is with every person touched by this tragedy,” he said, adding that “no one in our city should ever have to fear for their safety in a house of faith and a place of learning.”

Tazheen Nizam, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in San Diego, also denounced the attack, calling it “horrifying” and emphasizing that places of worship and education must remain safe spaces for all communities.