Gossip Herald
Home / Entertainment

Charlize Theron casts doubt on long-planned ‘Atomic Blonde’ sequel

The original 2017 action film starred Theron as spy Lorraine Broughton

By GH Web Desk |
Charlize Theron casts doubt on long-planned ‘Atomic Blonde’ sequel
Charlize Theron casts doubt on long-planned ‘Atomic Blonde’ sequel

Charlize Theron has cast doubt on the long-discussed sequel to her 2017 action thriller Atomic Blonde, suggesting that plans for a follow-up may no longer be moving forward.

Speaking in an interview with Elle published Thursday, May 21, the Oscar-winning actress said the project appears to have lost momentum after years of intermittent development.

“I think we might’ve passed the moment,” Theron said, indicating that Atomic Blonde 2 is unlikely to happen at this stage.

The original film, released in 2017 and directed by David Leitch, starred Theron as elite MI6 operative Lorraine Broughton, tasked with retrieving a critical dossier during the final days of the Cold War in Berlin. 

The action-heavy spy thriller also featured James McAvoy, Sofia Boutella, and John Goodman.

At one point, momentum for a sequel appeared strong. In 2020, Theron confirmed that Netflix had shown interest in continuing the franchise, with early script development reportedly underway and discussions ongoing with then-Head of Original Films Scott Stuber.

“We took it to them and Scott Stuber was really interested in it,” she said at the time, adding that writers were actively developing a follow-up story that would further explore her character’s background.

However, despite early optimism, Theron’s latest comments suggest that the window for a sequel may have closed.

The original Atomic Blonde became known for its intense, practical stunt work and extended action sequences, including a widely discussed stairwell fight scene that required extensive choreography and multiple takes stitched together in post-production.

Director Leitch has previously praised Theron’s physical commitment to the role, noting that she performed the vast majority of her own stunts after undergoing intensive martial arts training before filming.

Theron, meanwhile, continues to stay active with multiple film projects. 

She recently completed filming The Odyssey and is currently working on Amazon MGM Studios’ Tyrant, along with several upcoming productions in development, including Alfonso Cuarón’s Jane and the heist film Two for the Money.